Sunday, August 16, 2009

Don't blame the girls alone......

This is just another blabbering of mine, but think it's worth a moment to think about it.

Yesterday night was a typical bachelor's Friday for me. In the evening I played tennis for a decent amount of time, the first time in my life I served an ace, phew it is real. (After that came a game in which I had just 3 double faults). One set of friends wanted to go to Kaminey,
though I was a bit enticed to see Priyanka Chopra on the big screen, I decided not to go due to variety of reasons, budlight lime being one among them. We made some Rava Kichadi for the night and had some Breadsticks and buffalo wings from Domino's.

As it happens in the life of any bachelor, after a drink and nothing to do on a Friday night, a topic came in for vetti pongal. Sometimes these topics are of very great intellectual quality, which normally doesn't strike our mind, or things which we don't gave a damn about due to the various entertainments available around us. I love to be in discussions like this which give me an opportunity to realize how I think, what's my attitude, etc. (Provided you don't booze too much, if you do so, then it's a different story altogether).

Let me came to the topic, recently back in my company they banned wearing Casuals on Friday. The topic stated with the discussion of why did they ban the casual attire (to be read as Business casual, that's what they call so)? My friend told that one of the primary reasons is because of certain section of the girls wearing pretty indecent attire. It is certainly one of the reasons, I have seen certain girls whose costume will take your mind for a wild ride. But that doesn't rule out the boys who do wear a round neck T-Shirt with a glaring design, a jean with n number of pockets and sometimes which is torn at some places. Wearing what they like is an individual's right but when you are representing an organization there are some lines which should not be crossed, this was the reason why the Business Casuals were banned.

The argument from my friends perspective was that it was because of the Girls the Casuals were banned. My side of argument was though it was one of the primary reasons, I couldn't place the blame on them. I am articulating my argument as below,

"Every male or female (in most cases) tries not to be a common person. They want to stand out from the crowd in one way or another. Out of these some section want to attract the opposite sex, a section which will have a smile maybe not on their lips but in their hearts to see members of the opposite sex turn around and say a Phew at them. And many try to make faces turn by dressing beautifully, the problem comes when we are defining "dressing beautifully". A pretty good Churidar, or a decent top and a jean can project a girl beautiful for sure, but not everybody thinks like that. Some tend to think that dressing more sexily will make heads turn around. As everybody knows a Man's mind more easily sways and he will turn for sure.

Men don't (need) dress like that, it is not common to see men wear sleeveless tops or a top which shows their hip. The reason is a woman's mind doesn't get swayed like that, their definition of good looks is different from a man's mind. Hence men don't dress like that, had it been a case where women start liking a man showing his hip, you would see the streets swarm with guys dressed like that.

So my take is don't blame the girls alone.

PS:
1. For me beauty is something which is not determined by external looks.
2. Time to have another budlight lime, don't know I love it pretty much.

7 comments:

Samba said...

Now, the issue is the mentality of men? :)

It is well known that the section of guys/girls who believe that the dress they wear matters also must believe in a good physique.

Do we see ALL men / women sweating it out in the Gym, even when the facility is free of cost in many MNCs? :)

No.

Sathish Mayil said...

Yes Ashwin it is no.

The argument from my side is that women alone are not immoral. men are equally to.

Anonymous said...

First, I watched Kaminey yesteraday and now trying to figure out what's it all about. However, the movie had breathtaking Visuals.

Secondly, I don't have any comments on your employer banning friday casuals. It's their prerogative as long as they write your pay checks..

Thirdly, i have a bit about people who wear provacative dress. All they lack is Common Sense and a Good Judgement. Unfortunately it is not taught in this parts of the world.

- M S

Sathish Mayil said...

I do agree that they lack common sense. My point is it is not just girls alone. What do you say?

Anonymous said...

Men are wired to possess a mind that sways easily. We both agree that.

My problem is with girls who exploit this inherent bio-mechanism for improving their worthiness. Of course, they have the right to wear whatever they like and in fact, there are girls who know how to carry themselves.

But every right implies a responsibility. The responsibility of consequences. I say, let the people who don't know how to conduct themselves better be bound by rigid rules.

- M S

Sathish Mayil said...

I agree to you completely M.S. Rigid rules are required to weed out people of these kind.

RamNarayanS said...

Interestingly a similar thread on dress code cropped up with an ex-colleague a few months back and here was my response as a part of that exchange. :-) I infer that you must be in one of the services biggies (CTS, Infy, TCS (unlikely), Wipro (unlikely)).
-----------------------------------
The best dress code is "Dress appropriate", as someone said.

It all boils down to what is okay for one isn't so for others. Will you work if you have a gal in fishnet/tank tops and mini-skirts sitting next to you, everyday (or for that matter any distractive clothing)? ;-) :-P :-D (Hopefully that doesn't happen) Even having a strong perfume is not okay. Or for that matter, you can come in beachwear to work with political or company satire slogans on your T-shirt which you feel is okay to you.

Most of the dress code issues originate from someone taking an extreme position on the freedom given to them. Then it is the story of monkeys, bananas and cold water spray and someone would have exercised their control.

I believe privacy is all within the confines of your home. When outside, you better be acceptable to others or face the consequences.Try saying that you won't be body scanned at an airport security desk on privacy concerns and you'll be thrown out.