Tuesday, September 15, 2009

No more watching Cricket

I still remember those days at Nungambakkam, Chennai when I used to get up early in the morning along with my Grandfather and my cousin to watch the Cricket World Cup held at Australia in 1992. For the past 17 years Cricket has been an integral part of my life, just like a typical Indian kid one of the activities for which I have spent a major portion of my life time is cricket. I have been so mad and passionate about the game in my life so far, I have faked stomach aches as early my III standard to watch Sachin play, cut my classes to see Dravid forge a beautiful century in Australia, sacrificied a lot of things to watch and play the game.

The moment I open my web browser,my hand involuntarily will type www.cricinfo.com, though I am not a great player of the game I was a kind of nerd in cricket.

Then why suddenly stop watching the game which has been so close to my life?


The thing which made me take this decision was India teams act of playing in Sri Lanka, a land which a genocide has just taken place. I was disgusted to see that Indian team choose to play over there at this situation, it's money which counts and not anything else.

A few of my friends considered me stupid and told me that the decision is not in the hand of cricketers, I do agree that. But if they had refused on moral grounds, a lot of people would have sat up and noticed the carnage which goes on. And all the more there was one tamil player in the who didn't expressed anything about what's going on there.

I don't know why people never think in these lines, why are they not sensible.

Some do question me that I am overflowing with emotions just because I am a tamil, for those I would like to strongly state that I am a human. I have spent lot of slepless nights thinking about the plight suffered by thehardships faced by people in Kandhar, Darfur, Gaza, North West Frontier province, Eelam, North Eastern India, Kashmir, Gujarat, etc.

I am more attached to Eelam because I have seen many who have been affected by the problem. Also if I can act with proper determination and sensibility I bring a change to their lives. Though I have to admit with guilt that I have not done it properly so far.

Thats why decided against watching cricket and do something useful during those times. Sometimes it is tempting to watch it, but so far I have been able to restrain myself. I have not visited Cricinfo's website once I came to India is going to Lanka, however watched a few portions of Lanka Vs England match when they were watching it in my room. But certainly determined to stop watching cricket.

4 comments:

santha said...

I stopped watching cricket for some time, but it was difficult for me to control the urge. I should follow on your line and be determined enough.

Pramod Jacob said...

Your love for cricket will eventually overtake your resistance simply because you love the game and one can't overtake ones human desires. Look at it this way. You love cricket simply because its cricket and thats your area of interest. The Sri-Lanka issue is another matter and thats also ur area of interest, which i broadly classify as politics. So, my point is your focus should be towards enhancing what you like to do most. By mixing the two your sacrificing one for the other and in this case of not watching cricket you don't gain anything. You could argue about Morality. But i don't see anything wrong if u separate these issues because u simply love cricket.

Sathish Mayil said...

I do agree to your point Pramod. I will continue to play the game with the same passion, but there is one more reason for giving it. Whenever you give up something which you are passionate, you would be finding it hard to leave it. Whenever I get the feeling, I want to devote that time to some good cause, thats it.

Sathish Mayil said...

@Santha Yes da, lets try it this time. I followed your line in quitting Non - Veg, for the past 2 years eaten only thrice da.