Saturday, October 24, 2009

We need to avoid these mishaps

Though these days I am slowly becoming numb to the accidents, natural disasters, political comodies happening in India, I have not reduced my addcition of going to Google News once in an hour or so. Being Friday and no mood to work after 5, I opened the portal and the first headline was "Mumbai accident: Two dead, 12 injured".

On reading the details of the accident, I couldn't resist my anger, especially when I came to know that the action was pending on the bridge since 2002. Worse still "Onlookers said that the girder broke because it was placed on wooden planks, which had detoriated over the years due to water seepage", more here.


This is yet another thing which could have been avoided had better sense prevailed among the concerned. It seems a local train rammed into a water bridge which had collapsed into the tracks. The frustrating part is that the bridge has been in fragile condition for a long time, however, proper repairing couldn't was not carried out. Thane Municipal corporation and the Central railway division are blaming each other for the mishap.

Had not been the alertness of R.Ramachandran, the Engine driver who spotted the wreckage on the tracks and braked quickly, the damage would have been more. The worst thing is that noble man is no more.

I believe our country keeps running through the sincerity of thousands like Ramachandran. Let's hope his family is taken care of.

Not sure whether they had changed the Thane - Mumbai track since 1853.

No comments: